Movember: mustache glory for good
It's Movember, the month when boys become men to "change the face of men's health." To raise awareness for men's health issues, they grow out their whiskers for 30 days with hopes and dreams of mustache glory.
I admit, I'm not a fan of facial hair on men. Don't get me wrong, all you mustache lovers out there, I respect you and think you look great. It's just my personal preference not to kiss it.
Soup strainers and crumb catchers aside, here are some facts about men's health from the Movember foundation:
- The average life expectancy for men is five years less than women (presently 77 compared to 82).
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime (1 in 3 women will be).
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- Men commit suicide four times as often as women.
- An estimated 8.7 million adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes -- a third do not know it.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in American males between the ages of 15 and 34.
If you'd like to contribute to the Movember foundation, my friend Kevin Strange is collecting donations on behalf of his workplace team, Mo-ForRent (they work at ForRent.com). So far, they've raised $400 with 15 days to go. As a random act of kindness, consider making a contribution and spread the word about men's health.
And for even more mustachio fun, check out this mustache barware from Urban Outfitters. I picked these pint glasses up when I was shopping in Las Vegas last month. This worked out great because the week before, I had an unlucky (or clumsy) streak and had broken a few glasses at my house. I picked these up thinking my roommate, Brian, would appreciate them.
Enjoy the rest of Movember, and in all your mustache mischief, don't forget to spread awareness and support a men's health cause.